Monday, February 25, 2008

pituitary gland

pattismithhorses
I first checked out Patti Smith's Horses when in love with the song Rock 'n Roll Nigger from the Natural Born Killers soundtrack (yeah)- which was far and away my favorite song on the album (and I don't care what anyone says that was a kick-ass movie with a kick-ass soundtrack). I wanted an entire album with that song's raw ferocity and was disappointed by what I thought was a comparatively tame offering. I didn't get how everyone described it as having all this "raw energy". Recently Juno reminded me of Smith and put her in a context which included Iggy and the Stooges - who I was ignorant of back in the day (a forgivable oversight) - and I decided to give Horses another listen. Thank you Juno. Smith kicks 100% of my ass and I can't imagine how I missed it the first time. Totally raw and naked and it gets into you and overwhelms. Fantastic.

No comments: